Saturday, April 16, 2011

Collage Assignment



Working on the collages was an interesting experience. I did not have any sort of plan going in I let them sort of evolve and form on their own. I skimmed through images online until I would come across an interesting looking image and then I would bring it into Photoshop. Once I had about six or more I sort of had an idea of what I wanted to do with each and I began to manipulate them. I did not use all the images I deleted the ones I did not think I would need. The only thing I really planned was to erase the parts of the photos that didn’t belong really well so it all looked like one image. The one thing I really tried for was to make the collages look like a single image rather than a mash up of multiple ones. Once the collage was well under way, I would sometimes get ideas to add specific things and I would go looking for more specific images. Were the collages ever unsettling? Not really I don’t think. Sure they were strange, but I don’t think I ever found them unsettling. Both images turned out very different from each other and what I was expecting them to be. For each I focused on different techniques one was mostly changing the opaqueness and the other was more about piecing the different parts together. Multiple pictures with different opacities have a very different feel to it when you look at it, almost like ghosts of different events of something.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that both of these have a similar X layout, and an interest in "blown highlights" (where images approach the underlying white of the page [if they're printed] or of the brightest light a
    screen is capable of producing [if they are on screen.] )

    Try squinting and looking at these. This minimizes the content (since you can't see details clearly) and pushes the design forward. Does what you see going on in terms of the composition change at all?

    ReplyDelete