Sunday, April 24, 2011

Scratch Assignment




Flat colors are in some ways easier and in some ways harder then working with continuous tones. First of all they are just simple shapes each their own color and you don’t have to worry about shading and shadows to make everything look realistic because it will never look realistic. I find it to be easier also because there are fewer variables involved and it takes less time. However that fact could be somewhat of a downside because it does limit the final outcome. There were a few occasions where I wanted to add shading but I couldn’t. Also because they are composed of many shapes it takes lots of planning to get the right look of something you want. You have to plan out the shape of the individual colors before-hand. Colors weren’t necessarily planned. I used a lot of grey and blue in two of my images but the final colors often were not the same colors I started with. Once I had got most of the image done I went back and adjusted the different colors until I found something I liked. Some color combinations do work better than others. Black and yellow always look good together, but pink and a sort of brownish green, not so much. I didn’t really go out of my way to look for colors that contrasted as long as they looked good together. Most of the colors I used were similar to each other with a few colors in the image that stood out to offset the majority.

1 comment:

  1. The asymmetry in these really makes them sing, and pushes them beyond simply evoking their subjects with the usual cliches. I think you might like work by Shigeo Fukuda. Try doing a Google image search using his name. His poster "Victory" comes especially to mind.

    ReplyDelete